Saturday 4 October 2014

My Orctober contribution


I love Orcs. My first ever purchases at GW York (on a school trip when I was about 12) were some trogoladyes, but I thought they were Orcs. Once that mistake had been discovered and I grew my knowledge of Citadel models from fortnightly trips to GW Reading, and from reading White Dwarf, I started collecting a huge Orc and Goblin army.  Unfortunately sold many years ago, I still regret this (and secretly hope that I'll rediscover it again on ebay one day...)

But I still love Orcs and thanks to Erny (http://ernysplace.blogspot.co.uk/) I've been given a good opportunity to do break out my greenskin recipe.  Here's Spike the Feared that I used to have in my army and which I have just finished painting:





As you can see, I'm a fan of the muted tan/green colour skin. I start with a graveyard earth brown, then a brown ink wash, followed by multiple layers of the base brown and increasing amounts of rotting flesh to highlight. A few green ink glazes to finish. 

Here's two more classic Orcs that will soon be joining him in what will be a small warband of 6 to add to my Lost and The Damned retinue table challenge (D6 Orcs):


As I mentioned, I do have a history with my Orcs, some of you may be familiar with my second Orc and Goblin army that I completed some years ago and which won me several best army awards:



But now I'm all Oldhammery I'm sticking with lead Orcs from the 80's. Any suggestions for my other 3 Orc warriors for the warband? I'm thinking at least 1 bow armed Orc?

No comments:

Post a Comment